For us, of course, we hope that international audiences connect with the movie and love it in the way that they love Eltons music. And theres the costumes. Taron Egerton was brought back for the sequel, and based on his salary, he definitely increased his impressive net worth. It's not quite the music that you exactly know. In areas where the actor was not performing, he had to learn to make it seem like he was, which needed additional instruction. ", That left Egerton able to focus on the distinct unreality of how the story was told. If youre watching it, Im writing about it, and having a great time doing so. He defines himself as a working-class man. And I think if I don't do myself the service of spending time learning that skill, then I'm an idiot.". Rocket Man. Taron Egerton as Elton John in 'Rocketman'. Scrutiny is going to be a part of that.. How Much Did Taron Egerton Get Paid For Rocketman? ", There were physical transformations a painted gap between his front teeth, his hairline shaved down to mimic John's early baldness. Rocketman is currently playing in theaters throughout the United Kingdom and around the world. "And Taron came down one day and sat on the front lawn of our house, on a nice . Taron Egerton re-recorded all of the songs for the Rocketman. Even though Taron was born in England and has just one Welsh grandfather, Egerton identifies himself as Welsh. Rocketman review: nearly as shiny and spectacular as its subject - Vox He is determined to prove to the world that he is capable of greatness as a singer and performer, and he has dedicated himself to the necessary training and hard work required to be a great singer and performer. They were PG13, we are an R. Thats not to say that there isnt crossover. So, the costumes I have in the movie, like the orange neoprene I wear in rehab, is such an amazing achievement because its so Elton, but its a new thing. Oh, thatd be super fun. He wasnt well. "It used to be that I'd turn up at his house and my heart would skip a beat before he came to the door because it's Elton John. To be fair, Rocketman lost some of its "But it's a fantasy jukebox musical!" He'd sung in the past for film roles in 2016's Sing, as an animated gorilla, he even performs Elton John's "I'm Still Standing" and along with Eddie the Eagle costar Hugh Jackman he contributed an '80s-inspired synth-pop track to the movie's closing credits. "I've never poured so much of myself into something. It would seem absurd to expect the same thing from a movie about Johns life that includes the phrase, I have fucked everything that moves. John himself has said the reason it took so long for the film to materialize was because he refused to water down his life. Copyright 2020. Do you still sing or listen to Eltons songs? Sure, Taron Egerton is on screen made up and dressed up like Elton John, but in short order he storms out of a . "I think that's how you know he really likes you," Egerton says proudly. He's written about art and entertainment for more than a decade, regularly contributing to outlets like Rolling Stone and Entertainment Weekly, and appearing as a guest on radio and television. Showing all 25 wins and 86 nominations. Despite not playing the piano or singing like Elton John himself, Taron Egerton did an amazing job portraying the iconic musician in Rocketman. How Taron Egerton Became Elton John for 'Rocketman' - Rolling Stone There was the usual globe-trotting promotional tour, starting at its May premiere in Cannes he openly wept as the credits rolled to a fan frenzy upon his arrival in Tokyo and impromptu performance on Paramount Japan's TikTok alongside director Dexter Fletcher. The only significant difference is that Taron Egerton, who won the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy as an astlottiated version of Queens Freddie Mercury, lip-synced most of Queens songs in this film, whereas Rami Malek lip-sync. We are, sure, celebrating a pop stars life, but we are also celebrating a standard bearer of that communitys life. Elton John saw something special in Taron Egerton from the beginning! Related: Which Cast Member Of How To Get Away With Murder Has The Highest Salary Besides Viola Davis? Being feted by major awards organizations for Rocketman should liven up the mourning. He went through a lot of hard work in order to get the job done. The film fared slightly less well at the hands of Delta Airlines, which recently pledged to restore at least some of the scenes edited out by a third-party service. Selena Gomez vs. Hailey Bieber: Why Everyone Thinks They Need to Pick a Side, For Taron, the challenge was finding the real person underneath the legend. Elton circa 1976 plays an important role in the film, and Taron has perfect mannerisms and looks like he is doing it. I didnt really know the song Hercules before the movie. (Laughs) My mom knows the boy who lies dormant within me, so I dont think she was that surprised. You could hear the sighs of relief back in Hollywood when the audience at the Cannes premiere saw that the gay sex and fleeting bare bums made it into the film intact. PREVIEW. More than just his memories, John even shared his handwritten diaries from his 70s heyday. Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. On the small screen, the actor has worked on projects like Watership Down, Moominvalley, and The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. Contact Us, [1]: https://en.24smi.org/celebrity/48371-taron-egerton.html, [2]: https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/taron-egerton-36472.php, [3]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taron_Egerton. The 30-year-old actor dished about his first meeting with the legendary musician while . 4:30. I pulled a moony to the crew at the start of the day just to kill some of the tension. Some studios wanted to tone down the sex and drugs so the film would get a PG-13 rating, John wrote in The Guardian. Taron Egerton addresses rumours he is in the running to play James Bond To them, Rocketman was just another decent musical biopic with less razzle dazzle and less of a "must see this in theaters" allure. Which Cast Member Of How To Get Away With Murder Has The Highest Salary Besides Viola Davis? He and Elton John are steadily sanding down the separation between a 72-year-old rock star and the almost 30-year-old man who has been his stand-in on screen, on an audiobook recording, and in countless interviews about John's legacy. It didnt require a cynical bent to expect it to happen again with Rocketman. Taron Egerton was essential in making the Kingsman series a box office hit, and he raised his popularity and a net worth significantly with his leading role in Rocketman. They looked like two young boys. Portraying someone as iconic as Elton John on the big screen is a very difficult task, which is why everyone from Tom Hardy to Justin Timberlake was initially considered for the role in the upcoming biopic Rocketman until producers settled on Taron Egerton. They had a halfway decent 2018 slate (A Quiet Place, Mission: Impossible - Fallout, Book Club and Bumblebee), but they have thus far struggled in 2019. I had to have piano lessons. At the end of its theatrical run, Sing had grossed north of $600 million, making it a genuine hit. Theres this phrase that Im going to paraphrase: Bored people are boring and interesting people are really fucking interested, he says. When factoring in rehearsals, filming, recording the soundtrack at Abbey Road, and spending time living with and getting to know the icon and his husband, David Furnish, the last three years of Egertons life have been spent in the headspace of Elton John. When you get to the end of your teens, youre not like, Thats the end of my teens! Youre like, Yeah! I've never felt so devoted to something over such a protracted period of time.". Where possible, where it felt isolated and just me on set, I was absolutely insistent that it be captured live. Copyright 2023 Penske Business Media, LLC. Despite the exposure, he chooses not to discuss his romantic relationships. Elton and Egerton were also close friends, as the two shared a passion for cars, with Egerton learning to drive before the actor took the singer for a spin in a modified Rolls-Royce. I had a vocal coach, but it was me. The actor did an impressive job nailing Johns distinct vocal style, and many fans were amazed by his vocal performance in the film. To Vaughn, the movie was a no-brainer. A year later, John made a cameo in Egertons Kingsman: The Golden Circle movie. It's a combination of the Welsh word for flower and a reference to his love of RV camping. He had this wicked sense of humor and hes very irreverent, but then he can be so, so sweet and vulnerable and kind. That's a pretty solid sum for an R-rated musical biopic, especially one that is comparatively unapologetic about its lead being gay (and actually partaking in onscreen same-sex relations). Peter is very much interested in cultural practices around the world including music, history, languages, literature, religion and social structures. When he performed as a gorilla in Sing, he first met the singer. The Welsh actor will be in charge of playing the legendary singer in this film. How Much Is 'Rocketman' Star Taron Egerton Worth? - TheThings Entertainment Weekly may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Its lead starinsert shady eyes emojiis heard doing his own singing in the final film version. "And it seems to heighten peoples' response to and affection for him.". Egerton started acting when he was 15, then scored a scholarship to London's prestigious Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, from which he graduated in 2012 and within a year was cast as the young. Taron Egerton's current net worth to be $10 million. Tom Sizemore, Heat and Saving Private Ryan Actor, Dead at 61 We got on with it and we did our job. PREVIEW. Egerton revealed in an interview with Entertainment Weekly that he did not play the piano in the film, but he did receive piano lessons in preparation for the role. That could be it. As a result, followers of the attractive guy may only follow him on Instagram and other social media platforms, hoping that journalists would publish images of their hero with his girlfriend. Egerton did not meet John until after the film Kingsman: The Golden Circle had finished. I recorded a version of it just before Dont Go Breaking My Heart, then Honky Cat. Its been such a joy to get to grips with those more obscure songs. Taron Egerton keeps the identity of his girlfriend a secret. We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. The actor admitted that playing John was an intimidating experience. But we stuck our flag in the sand, the director says. Saturday Nights Alright for Fighting is an old-school production number performed by a massive ensemble at a 1950s carnival. And sure, he didnt always look for it in the right place, but its still a theme of the movieand thats why its in there, and were very proud of it. If any of this was considered a gamble, it seems to be paying off. Taron Egertons personal life is a well-guarded secret for those who follow the actors career. He was named one of GQs 50 best-dressed British men in 2015 and 2016. What Men Want earned a solid $72 million on a $20 million budget, butWonder Parkflopped hard and (likeRocketman) thePet Semetaryremake felt like a let down because it didn't really break out ($121 million on a $21 million budget). He Instagrammed a photo of him with the caption Look at this hottie, and a million sources stated he was coming; out as homosexual I am not homosexual, but two of my friends came out when I was 15, and it was a delight to support them since we are all confident in our identities as a group. He clarified. That means going back to focus on the piano, though he's considering a stab at guitar, too.